City Manager – Charleston, MO
Charleston, Missouri is a town of 6,000 residents located in the “Bootheel” area of Missouri in the southeast portion of the state. (The town’s population number does include approximately 1,600 inmates in a state prison on the south edge of town, so, for all practical purposes, the true population is about 4,400.) Charleston is located 15 miles west of the Mississippi River along I-57, is 15 miles east of Sikeston, Missouri, and is about 35 miles south of Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Charleston is halfway between St. Louis and Memphis.
The area around Charleston is dominated by large farming operations. Mississippi County is, historically, one of the three or four poorest counties in the state of Missouri, and about thirty percent of city residents live below the poverty line.
Charleston operates as a third-class Missouri city and is governed by a five member City Council. Council members are elected for three year terms with staggered terms. The City Manager is appointed by City Council and serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the city.
The city provides a full range of services to residents and business – police and fire protection, water and wastewater service, solid waste collection, etc. With five separate city funds – General Fund, Water / Wastewater Fund, Transportation Fund, Parks Fund, and Capital Improvements Fund – the city has total annual revenues of approximately $5.0 million. The city’s payroll currently includes 39 full-time employees.
Charleston is seeking a new City Manager with the following qualifications:
- Previous government experience, either as City Manager or Assistant City Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Government, Public Administration, or a related field from a fully accredited college or university.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including proficiency with Excel.
- Demonstrated experience of successfully managing a budget of at least $5.0 million with varying sources of revenue.
- Demonstrated experience managing an organization .
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with a group to achieve goals / objectives.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
In addition, the successful candidate will have strong communication skills (written and verbal) as well as the ability to relate to a wide range of individuals.
The salary range for the position is $75,000 to $90,000, dependent on qualifications. Group health coverage is provided for the employee. A residency requirement will apply.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume (including three professional references and their contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 01, 2022. Review of resumes will begin on August 2, 2022 and a final list of candidates will be selected by September 1, 2022.
The city of Charleston, Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer.